DBpedia PhD Symposium
We are creating a meeting place and scientific network around DBpedia for scientific exchange - the DBpedia Knowledge Engineering PhD Symposium - where junior and senior researchers can establish relations and collaborations and exchange ideas and knowledge. Thus, we aim to manifest a scientific community as a driver for DBpedia and Linked Data and expect synergies and network effects that will greatly improve scientific output by the involved community members. The DBpedia Knowledge Engineering PhD Symposium will be held on the third day of the week-long Data Week Leipzig 2022 event (July 4-8, 2022).
The DBpedia Knowledge Engineering PhD Symposium consists of the following highlights:
- A senior researcher starts the symposium by giving insights into their experience on “what makes a good PhD”.
- Several PhD students will present their thesis and topics. On the one hand, they will receive feedback and on the other hand, the symposium participants will gain insight 1) on how they structure and define their PhDs, 2) on what the current trends are and 3) on potential connecting points for collaboration.
- A dedicated poster session where all PhD participants can bring their poster and discuss with the audience during the coffee breaks. Please contact the organizers if interested in presenting a poster!
- A community session, where we discuss how to organize the research network around DBpedia.
- In the afternoon we will walk through the city center of Leipzig and also visit the LivingLab at the University of Leipzig. In the evening we will meet in a nearby pub and discuss the PhD topics of the day.
Submission of presentations
We are looking for presentations within the broader scope of the knowledge engineering field. From knowledge extraction, integration and curation, to knowledge publishing, quality assurance and knowledge exploitation in AI solutions. Each PhD presenter will receive a 30 minutes slot which includes 20 minutes for presentation of the research topic and 10 minutes for questions, feedback and discussion.
The aim of the DBpedia Knowledge Engineering PhD Symposium is to provide an opportunity to PhD students to present their PhD-related work-in-progress and receive feedback on their current work. In an open, supportive and non-confrontational environment the students will present their thesis in relation to the state-of-the-art, the identified gaps, addressed challenges, considered methods for exploitation, datasets for validation, and the overall evaluation approach. The colloquium will help PhD students to strengthen and shape their work as they progress towards their PhD degree. Moreover, the colloquium is a great opportunity to build a network of peers for their future career. The ultimate objective of the colloquium is to promote excellence in PhD research in the knowledge engineering field.
Deadline for PhD presentations
- submission: May 29, 2022
- notification: June 3, 2022
How to register
The symposium will be organized as an on-site event. It will be organized as an open event where anyone can register and attend. All symposium participants will be invited to an informal meeting in the afternoon, where the PhD student can discuss their current results and future plans with experienced professors and individuals from the knowledge engineering field.
How to apply and join
To apply for a PhD presentation please fill-in the provided form (extended abstracts of ~ 500 words / 1 page).
08.45 - 09.00: Meet and greet
09.00 - 09.30: Opening and Invited talk
Sören Auer is Professor for Data Science and Digital Libraries at the Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz University Hannover and Director of the Technische Informationsbibliothek (TIB) in Hannover.
09.30 - 10.30: 2 presentation slots
10.30 - 11.00: Coffee Break & Poster Session
11.00 - 12.00: 2 presentation slots
12.00 - 12.45: lunch
12.45 - 14.30: 3 presentation slots
14.30 - 15.00: Community Session & Closing
15.00 - 15.45: Coffee Break & Poster Session
15.45 - 16.30: City walking tour
16.30 - 17.30: LivingLab tour
from 17.30: Informal meeting in a nearby pub